Passing the Element 6 written exam is a requirement to obtain the FCC Radiotelegraph Operator (T) license. The FCC does not administer commercial operator license examinations. To obtain a new or upgraded FCC commercial operator license, you must pass a written examination administered by a Commercial Operator License Examination Manager (COLEM).
Radiotelegraph Operator License Requirements
To pass the Element 6 written exam, you must correctly answer a minimum of 75 questions on the 100 question exam. The exam is made up of questions drawn from a pool of 616 questions. Do NOT attempt to memorize the questions and answers as they appear in the FCC Element 6 question pool. The questions and answer choices on the exam may be shuffled.
Use the links below to read about the FCC Radiotelegraph Operator license and view the element 6 exam question pool from the FCC website.
Table-1 shows the number of questions in the question pool and the number of exam questions taken from the pool.
There are typographical errors and questions with incorrect answers in the element 6 question pool. As you work your way through the question pool, save problematic question numbers in a simple text file (one question number per line) and name it something like suspect-qnos.txt. Periodically copy and paste the question numbers from the file into the form provided with the commercial license exam question review facility at the link below and test yourself on the problematic questions. Regardless of whether or not the questions/answers you see on an element 6 written exam are correct, you must enter the answer the FCC has designated as the correct answer on the exam test form.
How the Self-Study Program Works
This is how the self-study program works. You study the questions and flashcards covering the question blocks you have defined. Then test yourself on the question blocks until you are consistently scoring 85 or higher. When you have covered all the questions in the pool, test yourself with sample element 6 license exams until you are consistently scoring 85 or higher.
Special Exam Question Review Facility
IMPORTANT: The element 6 question pool contains 425 questions referred to as compound questions. Compound questions have one or more answer choices that refer to other answer choices associated with the question. Compound questions make up approximately 70% of the entire element 6 question pool. Table-2 displays the compound answer choices that appear in the question pool. Use the special exam question review facility to concentrate on these 425 questions and improve your license exam score. Check the just display the questions option to review the questions and answers in a selected category. The default option (unchecked) will generate a test comprised of questions from a selected category.
Element 6 Self-Study Program
1. Define a question block to study. I recommend blocks of 50 questions. Use the link provided below to study the questions in the block. There is an option to display correct answers only or all answer choices with the correct answer highlighted.
2. Study the flashcards at the link provided below one question block at a time until you are ready to test yourself on the question block then proceed to Step 3.
3. Test yourself on each question block you define using the link provided below until you are consistently scoring 85 or higher. Repeat steps 1-3 until you have studied all 616 questions in the question pool then proceed to step 4.
If questions are missed on a test, a link will be provided at the bottom of the results summary to test yourself on the missed questions. Repeat testing until you answer all of the questions correctly.
4. Use the link provided below to test yourself on sample element 6 exams until you are consistently scoring 85 or higher on every exam you take then proceed to step 5.
If questions are missed on a sample exam, a link will be provided at the bottom of the results summary to test yourself on the missed questions. Repeat testing until you answer all of the questions correctly.
5. When you are scoring 85 or higher on every sample exam you take, you are ready to take the Element 6 license exam. Use the link provided below to locate a COLEM or certified exam proctor in your area.