This online program was designed to assist mentors who are helping license candidates suffering from Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) prepare for license exams. ADD candidates often have moderate to severe cognitive problems including poor memory retention. In many cases, the only approach that works is repetitive exposure to the NCVEC question pool questions and answers and frequent testing. Dividing the exam question pool into NCVEC syllabus groups (topics) can oftern help by reducing the number of questions studied at a time.
Table-1 lists the topics in the NCVEC license exam syllabi for the Technician, General, and Amateur Extra license exams.
PROGRAM SETUP & ADMINISTRATION
1. Sit down with candidates and go over the steps in the study program and explain what is expected of them. You may have to write down the required steps so candidates can refer to them as they study.
2. There are options for you to receive copies of candidate test and sample exam scores by Email. Accumulate the missed question numbers listed at the bottom of the Email message in a simple text file. Copy and paste the list of question numbers into the file. Use the question review analyzer to identify patterns of missed questions. Prepare a simple text file of repeatedly missed questions — one question number per line. You may want to assign descriptive file names such as T0A-review.txt to the review files. You may also want to create a folder with candidate name and target license such as joe-candidate-technician to contain the review files and Email messages.
3. Have candidates use the question review facility on the repeatedly missed questions identified above. You can Email the link and the special review files you have prepared to candidates along with instructions. Repeat the question review process as needed until candidates correctly answer the questions.
NOTE: If questions are incorrectly answered in an question review facility session, a link will be provided at the end of the session display. Have candidates click the link to test themselves on the incorrectly answered questions. Have them repeat the review process until they correctly answer all the questions.
4. ADD candidates can easily become frustrated by their inability to pass tests and sample exams. It is very important for you to provide steady encouragement and not become irritated or frustrated with the candidate.
5. The key to success is repetition, close monitoring, and encouragement. If you persevere, there is a very high probability that candidates will pass their license examinations.
1. Start with subelement 0. Have candidates study the topic flashcards at the link below until they are ready to test themselves on the topic then proceed to step-2. There is an option to display questions and all answer choices or questions and only the correct answer choice. Flashcards can be manually advanced or set to advance automatically. Have candidates view the flashcards with only the correct answers displayed. Then have them view the flashcards with all answer choices displayed and hover over their choice to see if it is the correct answer.
2. Have candidates test themselves on topics using the link below until they are scoring 85 or higher on every test. Repeat steps 1-2 until all the topics in a subelement are completed then proceed to step-3.
3. Have candidates test themselves on entire subelements using the link below until they are scoring 85 or higher on every test. Repeat steps 1-3 until they complete all subelements (0-9) then proceed to step-4.
4. Have candidates test themselves with sample license exams using the link below until they are scoring 85 or higher on every exam. When they are scoring 85 or higher on every exam, they are ready to take their license exam.
5. If possible, let the exam session VE team leader know that the candidate has ADD and will need special attention.