The Technician license exam is a 35 question test drawn from a question pool of 426 questions. The question pool is divided into 10 subelements (T0–T9). Subelements are subdivided into question groups (topics). There are 35 topics represented in the question pool. One question will be randomly selected from each topic to make up a Technician exam. You must correctly answer a minimum of 26 questions on the exam to obtain a Technician license. Do NOT attempt to memorize answers to questions based on the way they appear in the NCVEC question pool. The questions and associated answer choices on the exam may be shuffled. There is no time limit on exams.
NOTE: You may take more than one exam during an exam session at no additional cost provided you pass each exam in the required sequence — Technician, General, Amateur Extra.
Table-1 shows the topics, number of pool questions, and number of exam questions from each subelement.
Familiarize yourself with the NCVEC Technician license exam syllabus at the link below.
SAMPLE LICENSE EXAMS with PROGRESS TRACKING
Sample license exams with progress tracking are available with this self-study program. The results of all the sample exams you take will be stored for later testing and analysis purposes. Progress tracking enables you to periodically test yourself on missed exam questions, view your cumulative exam score, and assess your progress. Registration is required. Read about progress tracking at the link below. Register if you would like to use progress tracking.
QUESTION POOL SEARCH & TEST FACILITY
A comprehensive question pool search facility and test facility is available at the link below. Use the facility to locate questions of interest and test yourself on the selected questions. Instructions for use are included with the facility.
Ex. 1. Find all the questions containing answer choices of all of these choices are correct and test yourself on the questions. BTW, there are 61 questions with answer choices that match but only 20 of them have correct answers of all of these choices are correct.
Ex. 2. Find all the questions that refer to figures and test yourself on the questions. BTW, there are 12 questions that refer to figures.
Ex. 3. Find all the questions and answer choices that contain the word antenna and test yourself on the selected questions. BTW, there are 66 questions that contain the word antenna in questions and answer choices.
OPTIONAL STUDY AIDS
(not required for this self-study program)
A list of optional study aids is included at the bottom of this page.
HOW THE SELF-STUDY PROGRAM WORKS
This is how the self-study program works. Study the flashcards covering the questions on every topic in a subelement one topic at a time. Then test yourself on the topic questions until you are consistently scoring 85 or higher. When you are scoring 85 or higher on all the topics in a subelement, test yourself on entire subelements until you are consistently scoring 85 or higher on the tests. When you complete all ten subelements (T0-T9), test yourself with sample technician license exams until you are consistently scoring 85 or higher on every exam.
If you need help, use the form at the link below. If you have a mentor/instructor, enter the Email address given you in the form otherwise leave the to Email address field blank and your request will be sent to NC4FB. Be specific with your request. Include question numbers, figure numbers, and the self-study program component you are using. Ex. question number T5A01, subelement tests, Technician (2014 – 2018) Self-study Program.
TECHNICIAN LICENSE EXAM SELF-STUDY PROGRAM
1. Generate a listing of topic questions and correct answers (start with topic T0A). Read over the listing several times.
2. Study the online flashcards (start with topic T0A) using the link below with the correct answers only option until you feel you are ready to check your answers then view the flashcards showing all the answer choices (uncheck the correct answers only option) and hover over your choice to see if it the correct answer. When your are ready to test yourself on a topic proceed to step 3.
If you are using a touch surface device select the touch surface device option and gently tap your choice to see if it is the correct answer.
3. Test yourself on topics using the link below. Continue testing yourself until you are consistently scoring 85 or higher on every test. Repeat steps 1-3 until you complete all the topics in a subelement then proceed to step 4.
If questions are missed on a topic test, a link will be generated at the bottom of the graded display to test yourself on the missed questions. Repeat testing until you correctly answer all the questions.
4. Test yourself with complete subelement tests using the link below until you are consistently scoring 85 or higher. Repeat steps 1–4 until you complete all ten subelements (T0–T9) then proceed to step 5.
If questions are missed on a subelement test, a link will be generated at the bottom of the graded display to test yourself on the missed questions. Repeat testing until you correctly answer all the questions.
5. When you have completed all the subelements, test yourself with sample Technician license exams using the appropriate links below until you are scoring 85 or higher on every exam. If you have not registered for sample exams with progress tracking, use the link under the heading sample license exams (without progress tracking). If you have registered for sample license exams with progress tracking, use the links under sample license exams (with progress tracking) heading. You will need your candidate ID and password to use the facility.
If questions are missed on a sample exam, a link will be generated at the bottom of the graded display to test yourself on the missed questions. Repeat testing until you correctly answer all the questions.
Sample License Exams Without Progress Tracking
Sample License Exams With Progress Tracking
6. When you’re consistently scoring 85 or higher on every sample exam you take, you’re ready to take the Technician license exam. Use the link below to find an exam session near you. If you cannot find an exam site near you, contact a local amateur radio club for assistance.
Federal Registration Number (FRN)
If you don’t already have an FRN (Federal Registration Number), go to the FCC website using the link below and register for one. Be sure to take your FRN with you to the exam so it can be entered on your license application. FRN’s are free.
OPTIONAL STUDY AIDS
(not required for this self-study program)
There is a free license exam study app (Ham Test Study; covers Tech/General/Extra) available from the Google App Store courtesy of iversoft.com). The link to the app is shown below.
There are free license exam study apps (Ham Radio Exam – Tech/General/Extra) for iPhones or IPads available from the Apple App Store. The link to the apps is shown below. Be sure to pick the correct license and app for your device.
If you would like to have the convenience of studying for the Technician (2014 – 2018) license exam offline, a windows-based study aid is available. Everything you need to study for the exam using your tablet, net book, laptop, or desktop computer is included. Internet access is not required after the study aid has been downloaded. All proceeds from the sale of the study aids go to maintaining this website.
Technician (2014 – 2018) license exam study aid ($2.00; PayPal)
If you would like the convenience of studying for the Technician license exam using your Nook, Kindle, or EPUB reader, flashcards are available at the link below.
Nook Technician (2014 – 2018) License Exam Study Aid ($1.99 to purchase; Barnes & Noble)
Kindle or EPUB format ($1.99 to purchase; Paypal)
SUBELEMENT AUDIO FILES
Free subelement audio(mp3) files are available at the links below to help you prepare for your license exam. Download the selected file, unzip it, and listen to the MP3 files with a media player.